top of page

Our Story

Where it all began

Royal S. Pease and Charles D. Miller founded Troop 3 in April 1910 in Smithtown, New York. Suffolk County chartered us on September 30, 1910. It was known as Troop 1 until around 1930, because at this point of time, every town that had a Scout troop began with Troop 1 and counted up from there. After the Suffolk County Council was formed in 1930 and took over all Troops and organized its' records, all Troops were renumbered and we were given the number 3 because at that time, we were the third oldest Troop in the county. Presently, we are the oldest continuously run Troop on Long Island, and in the ten oldest Troops in the United States.

At this time the Troop was sponsored by a group of citizens in the Smithtown area. Unfortunately we have found it impossible to get any of the names of these people. This group held sponsorship until sometime between 1939 and 1942, when Kiwanis International took it over.

In the year 1912/1913 leadership of the Troop was taken over solely by Mr. Charles D. Miller. The Troop had eight scouts attending summer camp this year. Mr. Miller also lead the Troop in 1913/1914. Unfortunately there is no record of who the S.P.L. was at this time. The Troop Scribe was Joseph Flocker. The Troop averaged two outdoor meetings a month during this period. Their indoor meetings were held in the green library building.

The Troops first meeting place was the very small green library building now located at the Smithtown Historical Society, Brush Barn . The original location of the library building is where the Cedar Tree is located at the intersection between the Smithtown Library and the First Presbyterian Church. The library building was later relocated to Smithtown Cemetery as an equipment building.

In 1924, the Troop had a Scout House at the First Presbyterian Church , which was a private buggy shed located at the rear of the church property. It was the garage in which the Handly Family kept there automobile while attending church services. There was an agreement between the Handly estate and the Scout Troop that the Troop may have the use of the building as long as there was a Scout Troop in Smithtown. Unfortunately in 1952 the building was burned to the ground.

During the 1920's, under Mr. Millers Scout Mastership, some of the Scouts were Joe Corbani, Allen Land, and George Stevenson, all of whom later became Scoutmasters of the Troop.

Mr. Miller held the Scout mastership for several years. Upon the retirement of Mr. Miller form this post Mr. Richard Sutton took over the position of Scoutmaster. Mr. Miller remained as Chairman of the troop committee until 1928. Some time later Rich Sutton passed on leadership of the Troop of Fred Sturm.

In 1928 Mr. Miller's duties being too arduous, he handed down the management of the Troop to a community committee. Thus forming the first Troop Committee. The Troop has been so managed ever since.

Mr. Sturm remained as Scoutmaster of Troop 3 until around 1925, then he passed on leadership of the Troop to his son, Robert Strum. Robert Sturm led the Troop until 1931.

In 1931 Joseph Land took over leadership of the Troop. Some time later he passed on leadership of the Troop to Mr. Frank Corbani, who had a son in the Troop who was later to become the Scoutmaster. During this time the former Suffolk County Executive, John V. N. Klein was a Scout.

Mr. Corbani passed on the Scout Mastership to Lester Maxwell, who held the position for a few years until he passed it on to a formed Scout, George Stevenson.

In 1936 Mr. Stevenson relinquished his title to Allen Land, another former Scout. The Troop Committee consisted of five members, of whom Rev. Raymond H. Case was Chairman.

Forest
bottom of page